Dr. David Young, founder of Oxford Analytica and formerly a member of the National Security Council staff (and Special Assistant to Dr. Henry Kissinger) during the Nixon administration, shares a lifetime of wisdom from his faith journey, encapsulated in two phrases–“Didn’t I” and “It”. It is about remembering what God has done for us and recognizing the gifts and tools He has put in our hands to steward and put to work.
As one participant noted during his talk, “This is a privileged sitting with a sage.” Another commented, “This is about as good as its been since I started coming to NCS in 2002.” The talk itself is just under 20 minutes, but it is followed by 50 minutes of rich and deep Q&A in which David talks about topics such as the spiritual dimension of politics and power, the difficult journey of building Oxford Analytica and the people who have most impacted his life.
This talk was given to a joint meeting of NCS New Canaan, NCS NoVa and NCS Washington DC on May 1, 2020.
During his talk, David referenced various resources. Here are relevant links:
- A talk by Dr. Joe Loconte to the Trinity Forum on April 24, 2020, entitled “Suffering, Friendship, and Courage: What Lewis & Tolkien Teach us about Resilience & Imagination” https://www.ttf.org/?portfolio=online-conversation-joe-loconte
- A talk by Os Guinness to the CS Lewis Institute on April 25, 2020, entitled “Powerful Living for Today and Beyond” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAFtrtLAJNM&feature=emb_title
- A talk by Francis Collins to BioLogic on April 6, 2020, entitled “Science and Faith During COVID-19 https://biologos.org/resources/francis-collins-on-science-and-faith-during-covid-19
- A talk David gave to the Wheaton College Center for Faith, Politics and Economics on November 21, 2019, entitled “The Spiritual Dimension of Exercising Political Power” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCbc1wE5KYY&feature=youtu.be
- The book “The Seasons of Life” by Paul Tournier. https://amzn.to/2WhN4Zt
- David’s talk to the Estonian Parliamentary Prayer Breakfast in December 2014, entitled “Dimensions of Power” https://newcanaansociety.org/new-canaan/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2020/05/Estonian-Prayer-Breakfast-Dimensions-of-Power-Dec-2014.pdf
- David’s article “The Oxford Analytica Story” published in the American Oxonian (Winter 1996) https://newcanaansociety.org/new-canaan/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2020/05/David-Young-The-Oxford-Analytica-Story-American-Oxonian-Winter-1996.pdf