With great transparency and humility and extraordinary energy, John Simontacchi shares his extraordinary journey of transformation. John describes the numerous times that God’s amazing hand of grace rescued him from life-threatening situations and guided his career, even before he really even “believed” in God. Most dramatically, John explains how the escalation of his career was accompanied by the slow deterioration of his heart until in his 60’s he was given just a few months to live. Once again, God’s amazing grace provided a 20-year old heart for his aging body, and with that heart came direction toward a new career. John Simontacchi was given a new heart both figuratively and literally, and the message of this transformed man is to trust and surrender.
As a senior partner in a global consulting firm and a deacon in the Catholic Church, Gauthier Vincent is uniquely positioned to contemplate the intersections and integration of faith and work. He shares 12 ways he has found to ground his work in his faith, and explains how he applies these practically on a daily basis in his own life.
- Embrace the purpose of your work (remember all the people whose welfare our work contributes to)
- Realize your freedom (just follow Christ)
Ideas 1 and 2 are about growing in gratitude and in spiritual freedom
- Practice a life of virtues at work (even work becomes a good habit, i.e., virtue and a school of selflessness)
- Do it right and make it beautiful (beauty always leads to contemplation)
- Always be cheerful (joy calls on Joy)
- Live the Gospel literally whenever you can (as you take the last seat and sub-optimize your work, you trust in the Lord)
- Welcome Christ in everyone (look at the Christ image in all, from the CEO to the janitor)
Ideas 3-7 are about living the right way, as a child of God
- Cultivate the Presence of God during the day (turn your heart to the Lord with ejaculatory prayers, sweet words, e.g., as your watch beeps every hour)
- Practice the Examen (reflect on your day and look for how the Lord touched you through consolations and desolations)
- Begin and end your day in a contemplative mood (begin with a time for Scripture and Silence and the Silent Presence will stay with you during the day)
- Let the cross transform you (above age 25 one learns essentially through failures and suffering; there the Lord comes closer)
- Love the world and everyone in it (if you don’t work with love you deprive your co-workers, family, clients, etc.. of the real value of your work, i.e., the love with which you work)
Ideas 8-12 are about the mystical life at work, the life of union with the Beloved
The 2019 New Canaan Society New England Couples Retreat was held September 14-15 at the Heritage Hotel in Southbury, CT. The theme was “Understanding Changes Everything”. Dr. Mark Gordon Fee was our Guide. This is Session 2. Below is a link to the materials for the Couples Retreat.
The 2019 New Canaan Society New England Couples Retreat was held September 14-15 at the Heritage Hotel in Southbury, CT. The theme was “Understanding Changes Everything”. Dr. Mark Gordon Fee was our Guide. This is Session 1. Below is a link to the materials for the Couples Retreat.
The 2019 New Canaan Society New England Regional Retreat was held September 13-14 at the Heritage Hotel in Southbury, CT. The theme was “Understanding Changes Everything”, and Dr. Mark Gordon Fee was our Guide for the weekend. This is Mark’s talk on Saturday afternoon. Below is a link to the materials for the Retreat.